Interview with Shane O'Gorman


Name : Shane O'Gorman 

About Author :

Shane is a Canadian writer and artist with a long history of creativity, including creative writing, illustration and filmmaking. Having studied in media arts, literature and graphic design, he works professionally in design and marketing while pursuing his comic book aspirations at the same time. An avid lover of the human condition and a good sense of humor, Shane tries to combine these two elements in all of his works to deliver material that is just as emotionally impactful as it is hilarious. 

Author's Interview :

How long does it take you to write a book?

It varies depending on what the project is. I have made efforts in writing more traditional novels in the comedy and science fiction genres, and it is a long process that can take several months to reach a finish line with. None of these are published yet, as I wasn't satisfied with where the story is at! In the case of the "Brush It Off" collection that you reviewed, these were individual comic strips all compiled into one volume. It collected comics that were written roughly over the course of one year, this will be the same whenever I put together a volume two or three. 

How old were you when you decided to become a writer ? and where did you get inspiration from?

I can't pinpoint the exact age I wanted to be a writer specifically, but I did always love being creative from a young age, like three or four years old. I was always enamored by the movies, shows and books I would see, things that would capture my imagination like Star Wars and Pixar films. I'm a big fan of animation in general, so classic cartoons like Looney Tunes among others definitely had a big impact on me. I'd tell little stories to myself with toys, then that evolved into drawing, then writing and it just kept growing from there. I always found a new medium to express the ideas in my head, even making short films at one point, and now the "Brush It Off" series, among other projects. 

Would you like to mention those people who supported your journey to become a writer?

My parents always encouraged me to write and draw and express my imagination in creative ways. I've been very fortunate to always cross paths with a few key people in every significant portion of life who helped me grow. Primary school teachers had a lot of creative events like this, one of which being a public storytelling contest, which actually helped me learn at a young age how to properly structure a narrative and make it clear for an audience. Then in high school, I was part of an Improv group that even further complimented this. It all just builds on top of itself. My loving girlfriend also supports my writing and drawing and I always run ideas by her to get her thoughts.

What else do you like besides writing?

As mentioned, I do like acting and filmmaking. Just film in general I'm a big fan of, my brain is like a big database of random movie facts and behind the scenes info. Any genre too: comedy, drama, action, horror etc. I check out just about everything. While I don't play an instrument, I love music and have the utmost respect for musicians. Rock music is my main interest, but once again, I dabble in everything like jazz, folk, blues etc. Gaming is also another pastime, some personal favorites are The Legend of Zelda and Uncharted franchises. I also love animals, dogs especially. My own dog is the inspiration for another series I write called "Save Da Hooman", all taking place from his perspective. 

What advice would you like to give to our new writers who have just stepped into this journey or are thinking of making a move?

You need to stick true to yourself. All writing, drawing, music and any art form really is at its core, an expression of who the artist is inside. There is a little piece of me in "Brush It Off", and the short films I've made. For any new writers or creative minds looking to stretch their abilities, do what makes sense to you, but also don't be shy or afraid to receive feedback and other perspectives. It can only help you grow and consider different avenues to tell your stories with. 

How do you feel after writing? Does it make you more energized or exhausted?

For the most part it's a positive experience. I'll get an idea and then that rush of excitement to map out the idea. Sometimes I'll get "locked in '' to what I'm working on and unable to pull myself away until I've reached a point that I'm satisfied with. There are of course times where its a more tiring process, but this doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable. I may have had a long day outside of my writing/drawing that makes pushing to get something creative done just a little bit harder. Or there is the dreaded creative block that every writer has hit many times. If I just cant get into a good flow, I step away and return another time. 

Do you read your book Reviews? How do you Deal with bad or good Reviews?

I'm a newly published author, with the "Brush It Off" collection being one of my first publicly available works so there aren't any reviews for me to look at yet! That being said, I'm no stranger to feedback, both good and bad and I do feel like both are important in growing as a writer. If all you get is praise, you get inside your own head too much and think you can do no wrong. Its good to have a review of someone who didn't like it as much, because you can reflect and consider another way to approach the project. My comic posts and short films have received comments that have been helpful in this way. 

What does literary success look like to you?

The obvious result would be seeing your book on shelves in stores. As great as that clearly is, I greatly appreciate smaller, more personal moments of impact. If I see someone reading a comic I made, and they either laugh or have an emotional reaction to something that I wrote to have that exact intended effect, then I feel like I've succeeded in what I wanted to accomplish. A fan actually wrote a personal message sometime last year to me during the height of the pandemic, simply saying they stumbled upon "Brush It Off" and had a good laugh at how relatable it was, since they were struggling in their own job. One message like that made my whole day. 

Would you like to give any special message to my blog readers?

Hello everyone! I hope you're all doing well in these strange times. Even though we are all spread far apart in this world, our shared interests in reading and creativity bring us together, so keep sharing and encouraging others to read and write! We can all learn so much from each other. If you do happen to check out one of my works, I do hope you enjoy the read!

Name of your published books:

"Brush It Off: Volume One" & "The Poop Collection" 

Names Of Your Upcoming Books (if any and expected date of publication):

"Brush It Off: Volume Two" (Estimated Summer 2022) as well as standalone graphic novels...fans will have to stay tuned to my social media for more info on those! 

Instagram - @shaneotoons
email - shaneog93@gmail.com


Thank you very much Shane for giving your valuable time to my blog readers.
Interview with Shane O'Gorman Interview with Shane O'Gorman Reviewed by Er. Harpreet Singh on March 21, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.