Interview With Author Gairika Mitra


Name : Gairika Mitra 

About Author :

Gairika is an IT and tech journalist by profession, having served brands like CNN and The Indian Express. Presently, she is employed  full time with a Singapore-based publication in the capacity of a Senior Journalist, covering stories from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines, with a focus on New Zealand and Australia. Mitra lives in Mumbai, India with her mother and Tintin (her cat and brother).

Author's Interview :

How long did it take you to write your debut novel?

(Laughs) Well that's a good one - the research process had taken over a year and a half, obviously when you're writing your novel, that'll be read by a wider audience, you wouldn't want to go wrong on the facts. Post that, the conceptualisation had taken around a quarter and the writing bit was a little over 7 months. But, you know what Harpreet, I'd say that writing is a continuous voyage and just a trivial thought occurring in your mind could be shaped as an intrinsic part in your novel, perhaps. You never know. 

How old were you when you decided to become a writer? And where did you get the inspiration from?

These things are organic in my perception, so personally I never made an effort to think of myself as a writer at a particular age. I was just awestruck to see the works of notable personalities (some of whom I have mentioned in my novel too). In my case, it so happened that I was toying with the idea of putting my words somewhere where it'll have a distinctive mark, and not just publish it in the form of my blogs or podcasts and the result is what is in front of you. 

To answer the second part of your question, I grew up around the works of Conan Doyle, Enid Blyton, Keats, Frost and Asimov among many others around me, so you can't help but get inspired and motivate others around you. Here I gel with Frost's "The Road Not Taken". "...And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could..."

Would you like to mention those people who supported your journey to become a writer?

Sure, along with the list that I shared above, my parents, friends and random people. Sometimes, random strangers can help in amplifying your exposure and what better than that?

What else do you like besides writing?

Hmm, let's see. Reading for sure, as that gives me the courage and capability to write. And, I have developed this recent interest of just watching people - it just amazes me to watch them, their gait and if I could get a slight peek into that beautiful powerhouse (their minds) of theirs, then nothing like it. 

What advice would you like to give to our new writers who have just stepped into this journey or are thinking of making a move?

Not sure if I have reached a position to advise people yet, but I can repeat one phrase that I heard while attending my Bhagavad Gita sessions here in Mumbai, where the speaker said something like this "Believe in yourself, and eventually the whole world will."

How do you feel after writing? Does it make you more energized or exhausted?

Oh definitely, it's very energizing and if I could add one adjective here - I'd say it's relieving. You know, it's like a lot of things are just stuck inside of you, and you want it to come out, and when it does, you are elated and probably let out a deep sigh and say "Phew, I see it's finally out there!"

Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good reviews?

Fortunately, I have a team that monitors things like these, but they do pass on the information to me and truth to be told I am composed in both situations, whether good or bad. 

This is the same composure that I strive to build and maintain everytime I hear about a good/bad review. But even if a reviewer has rated my work poorly, I still appreciate his/her efforts as they took the pain of going through the book and put their thoughts - so no harm there. Similarly, if there is a good review, I applaud their efforts and try to move on to my next big thing as quickly as possible, especially now when you've convinced your reviewers. 

What does literary success look like to you?

The concept of success varies from person to person and very seldom in my life have I bogged myself down with the consequences or the after effects of anything I take up. For me, success can be anything as basic as helping Tintin (my cat) sleep early. Talking on the same lines and to answer your question, literary success, as per me, is when an author puts down anything he/she has in mind on a piece of paper or a laptop, and the rest isn't and shouldn't be your lookout.

Name of your published books
The Chronicles of Mumbai

Names Of Your Upcoming Books (if any and expected date of publication):
It's a work in progress, can't reveal much now.

Thank you very much for giving your valuable time to my blog readers.
Interview With Author Gairika Mitra Interview With Author Gairika Mitra Reviewed by Er. Harpreet Singh on December 24, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.